Translate

Monday, November 16, 2015

Two Letters

I've recently found myself needing to write some letters about my gender. Please feel free to use these as templates and alter them as necessary for your own needs.

Letter #1

Dear _______,

I'm a long-time member and I'm genderqueer.

I believe in the work that you do and applaud your international efforts. I think direct action by citizens plays a critical role in changing the world for the better. I hope to remain a member and a part of your online activism for many more years.

However, I cannot currently participate in your online campaigns. Addressing government officials requires a certain level of respect. One way that we show that respect is by adding a prefix such as "Mr." or Ms." before our names. As a genderqueer person, I use the prefix "Mx.", which was recently added to the Oxford Dictionary. Until such a time as I will not be forced to misgender myself, I will be taking a hiatus from participating with you.

Therefore, I urge you to add "Mx." to the list of titles a person can choose from in your organization.

Sincerely,

Mx. Melissa ra Karit



Letter #2

Dear ______,

My girlfriend first brought me to your women-centric space early this year. Since then, I've been back multiple times as a guest and enjoyed myself a great deal. I find it very relaxing.

I want to ask a clarifying question about your gender policy. Since this space is a silent retreat, I will obviously not be asking anyone about their gender, nor will anyone be asking me about mine. I am female-bodied and genderqueer. How would you like me to interact with this space? For example, would it be appropriate for me to have my own membership, typically only given to women? I know that this space is for woman only after 9pm. Would I be welcome during that time? And, for the sake of other non-binary, intersex, and transgender people who might be wondering, would the answer to those questions change if I were male-bodied?

Thanks for providing this space and for your consideration of these questions.

-Mx. Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment